- Can I rear Kienyeji for commercial purpose
Farmers have been calling Ecochicks Poultry with similar inquires and this is my take. Yes but having considered the following. There are only 2 main ventures in poultry rearing, eggs or meat.
We mainly have 3 types of chicken for that. Layers, Broilers and Kienyeji.
- Kienyeji feeds more than layers
- Kienyeji best for scavenging
- Layers have best laying rate and longest laying period
- broilers achieve market value faster than Kienyeji
- The market for eggs is bigger than meat
- The market for Kienyeji meat is growing very fast
- Kienyeji eggs fetches higher prices
My opinion Improved Kienyeji is more suitable for meat at commercial production scale.
2. Do i need cages in poultry rearing.
- Well, that depends on the no of birds you have. Cages are best for layers farming but also used in broiler production
- Return on Investment(ROI) is the major considerations in cage system.
- Cages have alot of benefits but also expensive when calculated cost per bird
- My opinion is to use deep litter system for less than 300 birds and consider cages for large number of birds
3. Which venture is more profitable eggs or meat
- This also depends with the resources available. In the long run egg production is more profitable and in the short run meat production is more profitable
- Consider meat producing chicken acheiving the market value in less tha 3 months and layers starting to lay after 5-6 months.
4. Which venture is easier to do eggs or meat
- Also depends with resources available. Meat production at commercial levels is easier to do as it does not involve tedious vaccination and disease control. Also the duration to its maturity is shorter.
- However the cage system simplifies the layers production
5 .Which venture involves less risk
- Kienyeji production has less risks compared to layers or broilers. The improved breeds are resistant to diseases and can be done for meat and eggs.
6 .Which is vaccination program for layers
- 1st day Marek(should be done at the hatchery)
- 7th day New Castle
- 14th day Bursal disease(Gumboro) in drinking water
- 21st day Bursal disease(Gumboro) in drinking water
- 35th New castle in drinking water
- 56th fowl typhoid intramascular
- 70th fowl pox wing stab
- 112th New castle in drinking water
7 .How can I hatch my own layers or broilers
- Start by rearing your breeding stock. This can be done by buying ex-layers and respective cocks and produce fertile eggs.
- Obtain an egg incubator and hatch your own chicks
- Get the eggs incubators here
8. Which is cheaper, buying feeds or making own feeds
- Feeds constitute 80% of the total costs. Making your feeds would definitely lower these costs especially when raw materials are available and or purchased in bulk
- Also get the formula for making feeds
8. What do i need to make own feeds
- Feed making machine
- Raw materials
- Feed formula
- Get the feed making machine here
9.How much do i need to start layers, broilers or kienyeji production
- Well get The Beginner’s Guide to Improved Kienyeji and Exotic Chicken Farming in Kenya for only ksh 700. Call 072708728
The above is only an opinion and the decision of the best venture lies with the farmer.[fbcomments]
Incoming search terms:
- market for kienyeji eggs
- eggs business in Kenya
- available market for kienyeji eggs
- how to rear kienyeji poultry
- rearing chicken for eggs in kenya
- which is more profitable rearing of layers chicken or broilers
- how profitable is chicken farming in kenya
- How to rear kienyeji chicken in large scale
- how to start chicken rearing
- kienyenji eggs business in kenya