Turkeys of all age group can be easily driven from one place to another with the help of a stick. For catching turkeys a darkened room is best, wherein they can be picked up with both legs without any injury. However, mature turkeys should not be kept hanging for more than 3-4 minutes.
Floor, feeder and waterer space requirement of turkeys
Feed: The methods of feeding are mash feeding and pellet feeding.
- The energy, protein, vitamin and mineral requirements for turkeys are high when compared to chicken.
- Since the energy and protein requirements for the both sexes vary they must be reared separately for better results.
- Feed should be given in feeders and not on the ground.
- Whenever change is made from one diet to another it should be carried out gradually.
- Turkeys require a constant and clean water supply at all times.
- Provide more number of waterers during summer.
Feed turkeys during the cooler parts of the day during summer. Provide shell grit at the rate of 30-40 gm per day per bird to avoid the leg weakness.
In intensive system, greens can be fed upto 50% of the total diet on dry mash basis. Fresh Lucerne is first class green feed for turkeys of all ages.